By Anna Winterbottom, Facil Tesfaye
Read or Download Histories of Medicine and Healing in the Indian Ocean World: The Medieval and Early Modern Period PDF
Similar special topics books
The problem for the biosciences within the twenty-first century is to combine genome sequencing info right into a larger figuring out of biology, body structure, and human pathology. Such makes an attempt at integration are relocating the area towards a brand new new release of bioscience and bioengineering, the place organic, physiological, and pathological details from people and different dwelling animals will be quantitatively defined in silico throughout a number of scales of time and dimension and during varied hierarchies of association — from molecules to cells and organs, to contributors.
Affliction, hunger, brutality, and compelled labour plagued the life of tens of hundreds of thousands of Allied POWs in global struggle II. greater than 1 / 4 of those POWs died in captivity. lengthy Night’s trip into Day centres at the lives of Canadian, British, Indian, and Hong Kong POWs captured at Hong Kong in December 1941 and incarcerated in camps in Hong Kong and the japanese domestic Islands.
This ebook examines intimately how eugenics in early twentieth-century France supplied a extensive disguise for quite a few reform events that tried to lead to the organic regeneration of the French inhabitants. like any different societies in this interval, France confirmed a transforming into curiosity in natalist, neo-Lamarckian, social hygiene, racist, and different biologically-based events as a reaction to the conception that French society was once in a nation of decline and degeneration.
This quantity presents an advent to Borelli’s concept at the circulation of animals and demonstrates the character of the strength of percussion, its explanations, homes and results. development on and relocating clear of the idea of mechanics as formulated by means of Aristotle and Galileo and countering objections expressed through Stephani degli Angeli between others, Borelli provides a very mechanical account of the motion of muscular tissues and analyzes the way the guts of gravity of the animal shifts in locomotion.
- Methods for neural ensemble recordings
- Contagion and the State in Europe, 1830-1930
- Russian Soviet Military Psychiatry 1904-1945 (Cass Series on the Soviet (Russian) Study of War)
- Encyclopedia of Foods. A Guide to Healthy Nutrition
Extra info for Histories of Medicine and Healing in the Indian Ocean World: The Medieval and Early Modern Period
43. S. M. Imamuddīn (1978), “Māristān (Hospitals) in Medieval Spain,” Islamic Studies, 17 (1): 45–55. 44. Geert Jan van Gelder (2008), “The ‘ĵammām’: A Space between Heaven and Hell,” Quaderni di Studi Arabi, Nuova Serie, 3: 9–24. 45. F. , Hospitals in Iran and India. 32 Anna Winterbottom and Facil Tesfaye 46. H. Naraindas and C. : Itinerant Patients, Therapeutic Locals and the Quest for Health,” Anthropology and Medicine, 18: 1–136. 47. R. H. -C. P. Chaineux (2009), “The Healing Sea: A Sustainable Coastal Ocean Resource: Thalassotherapy,” Journal of Coastal Research, 25 (4): 838–856.
C. Leslie (Berkeley: University of California Press), pp. 44–62. Ho, The Graves of Tarim, p. 7 and pp. ” N. Green (2012), Making Space: Sufis and Settlers in Early Modern India (New Delhi: Oxford University Press), Ch. 1. K. Pemberton (2005), “Muslim Women Mystics and Female Authority in South Asia,” in Contesting Rituals: Islam and Practices of Identity-Making, ed. A. Strathern and P. J. Stewart (Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press), pp. 3–39; J. B. Flueckiger (1995), “The Vision Was of Written Words: Negotiating Authority as a Female Healer in South India,” in Syllables of Sky: Studies in South Indian Civilization, ed.
17. Chaudhuri, Trade and Civilisation, p. 100; Thomas R. Metcalf (2007), Imperial Connections India in the Indian Ocean Arena, 1860–1920 (Berkeley: University of California Press). 18. Despite its importance, there is no overall study of the distribution of the neem tree. An indication of some of its modern uses and distribution is provided by S. Ahmed, S. Bamofleh, and M. Munshi (1989), “Cultivation 30 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. Anna Winterbottom and Facil Tesfaye of Neem (Azadirachta indica, Meliaceae) in Saudi Arabia,” Economic Botany, 43 (1): 35–38; S.
Histories of Medicine and Healing in the Indian Ocean World: The Medieval and Early Modern Period by Anna Winterbottom, Facil Tesfaye