By Walther Rathenau
Read Online or Download Aufsätze PDF
Best essays & correspondence books
On Human Nature: a meeting whereas every thing Flows brings jointly the overdue essays, autobiographical reflections, an interview, and a poem by means of the eminent literary theorist and cultural critic Kenneth Burke (1897-1993). Burke, writer of Language as Symbolic motion, A Grammar of reasons, and Rhetoric of explanations, between different works, was once an cutting edge and unique philosopher who labored on the intersection of sociology, psychology, literary concept, and semiotics.
The place will the learn of William Faulkner's writings take students within the new century? What severe roads stay unexplored? Faulkner within the Twenty-first Century offers the concepts of ten famous Faulkner students who spoke on the twenty-seventh annual Faulkner and Yoknapatawpha convention on the collage of Mississippi.
W. Scott Olsen and Bret Lott invited a dozen pals to contemplate one specific calendar month within the position they name domestic. the result's A 12 months in position, a charming choice of new writing through twelve eminent American writers. greater than a montage of voices and stories, A 12 months in position illustrates, as Olsen and Lott clarify of their creation, the traits in American brooding about who we're and what we care approximately.
- The Jewish World of Sigmund Freud: Essays on Cultural Roots and the Problem of Religious Identity
- A Hot-Eyed Moderate: Essays
- Laid: young people's experiences with sex in an easy-access culture
- Lettere contro la guerra
- An Elementary Treatise On Laplace's Functions, Lame's Functions and Bessel's Functions
Additional resources for Aufsätze
I) suggests a more widespread corruption – this being an age when one no more hears sense in a playhouse than ‘Honesty talked of at Court, Conscience at Westminster, Politeness at the University’ (Plays, vol. vi). In its chaotic final act, a rehearsal of Luckless’s catchpenny entertainment ‘The Pleasures of the Town’, Fielding’s play lurches abruptly into burlesque mode. Unable to get his comedy accepted, Luckless offers his audience a hectic spoof of the dumbed-down fare it prefers to consume, in which puppets representing inane new fashions in cultural production – Haywood gets an outing as ‘Mrs Novel’; Cibber is now recast as Sir Farcical Comick – sing, squabble, and flirt in Punch-and-Joan style.
8. ’, included in Fielding, Works (London, 1762), vol. I, 47. Future reference by page number in the text. 15 LINDA BREE 9. Fielding, Miscellanies, vol. I, xxxii. 10. Eliza Haywood, The History of Miss Betsy Thoughtless (London, 1751), vol. I, ch. 8. 11. Fielding, Miscellanies, vol. I, Preface xxxi, xxix, xxvi (printed pagination inaccurate). 12. Henry Fielding, Journal of a Voyage to Lisbon (London, 1755), 44 and passim. 13. Marginal note on a manuscript transcription of one of Walpole’s 1748 essays, preserved among his political papers in the Lewis Collection; recorded in W.
9 Yet easily the most interesting identity in performance here is that of the playwright himself. In the print version of Love in Several Masques, published a few days after the play’s fourth and final night, the author’s name is announced in the style of a gentleman amateur (‘Written by Mr FIELDING’) and adorned with a showy dedication to his noble cousin, Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. In the Preface, he modestly presents himself as ‘a raw 21 THOMAS KEYMER and unexperienced Pen’, only to overturn the modesty with a sly parenthetical addition: ‘(for I believe I may boast that none ever appeared so early on the Stage)’ (Plays, vol.
Aufsätze by Walther Rathenau